Thursday, May 14, 2009

Bring Forth the Flux Capacitator!

Dunno what my title means? Shame on you if you were a kid from the 90's. Now go watch Back to the Future.

I watched all the movies from that franchise endlessly as a kid. But the original is the one that I remember best.

Because I like writing and literature I tend to end up analyzing things too much. When you have spent a lot of time extracting the different connotations of a word used in a sentence or a poem it's probably not too far fetched to say you're like that in real life.

I'm not anal retentive. I swear, though I think that I might have an oral fixation.

This habit gets worse (the analyzing, not putting things in my mouth) when I have too much time on my hands. Lately, whether due to nostalgia or not I'm not sure, I've been reading my old journals.

It's funny to look back at what I was thinking and doing two or three years ago. Some of it is painfully naive and some of it surprisingly informed. Some parts of my journals seem to have this sense of terrible foreshadowing...reading it now it's all filled with dramatic irony. Seeing as how things turned out.

So would I do things differently if I could go back in time? Some things, but not everything. Some things were meant to be and some things were just mistakes.

I used to be obsessed with the idea of erasing some of my memories, courtesy of watching Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. But you know what I think now? There's nothing freeing about divorcing yourself from the past.

Your past is there for a reason. You have the choice to learn from it. Without it you could make all the same mistakes again.

So I guess...no regrets.

But I'd still say, "Meet me in Montauk."

1 comment:

said...

oo how lovely it would be to have a time machine. but so much would be taken into account. its a complicated little gadget. (not so little in the movie)