Monday, June 15, 2009

Hope and a Cosmo

So I've been babbling a lot about how I'm worried about my US visa and all the blah blah blah that's involved with going away to another country. The last time I applied for an important visa it got declined so I was pretty nervous about this one.

I couldn't imagine anything worse than having my student visa declined. Everyone told me it would be fine but I was still worried. So I decided to power dress. I always do this when I'm nervous. Rely on clothes or some kind of accessory to make me feel better. I have had so many lucky dresses/shoes/bags it's not funny.

I decided I wanted to project Audrey Hepburn. Grown up but still fun. I woke up anxious but hopeful. I even managed to smile!


I have a problem smiling for the camera when told to smile on cue. My visa photo is pretty awful I look PISSED OFF. Lol. This is the closest I can get to friendly and approachable in a posed picture.

I bought this dress specially for the occasion. I figured it was elegant and still comfortable. Also it made me look more grown up. I look about fifteen normally. Recently this aunty asked me if I was in Form 1!!!!

The other kids applying for visas at the American Embassy were a lot more casually dressed. Either in a simple collared shirt and jeans, or a kid version of formal. You know what I mean. Boys who are trying to look more grown up but don't have the formal clothes to pull it off.

A striped dress shirt with a tie, pants that are not slacks. Girls who don't have a nicely cut shirt that looks awkward or an ill fitting skirt.

Anyways it took forever and at one point I wanted to pee soooo badly but I didn't dare go to the bathroom in case they called my number. The interview went pretty well.

Except for the guy implying I've been a slacker for the last 3 years of my life.

Visa dude: So is this a graduate program?
Me: No, it's an undergraduate program.
VD (hahahaha VD): But you're like 21/22. What have you been doing since you left school?
Me: Well I did A levels and then I took a year off.
VD: So you've just been relaxing?

Kurang ajar betul!! Lol. He was kinda friendly though. And when I told him I wanted to be a writer he said he hoped to see my work in ten years. Then he said,

"Congratulations! Your visa has been approved."

He was actually quite cute. Chinese American. Or at least a Chinese guy with a very convincing American accent. But I don't think you can fake that accent.

So it's done!!!!! There's only one way to celebrate a momentous occasion like this. With.....



ALCOHOL! Hehehe. *Hic*

I took my ladylike ass and had me a cocktail and a burger. Mmmmmm.

My mouth is still watering at the thought of that Downtown Tokyo burger. Deep fried softshell crab. Wasabi mayo. Rocket. Heaven. Mmmmmm.

3 comments:

said...

you woman you.
either it was the make up or the dress, or the hair, did you lose weight? you looked great!
Chinese american eh? reminds me of Daniel Wu. I had a masssssive crush on him I watched almost every movie he was in. Gawd. & he's like old. near 40 :(
it's tad late now, i just got your email, reply tomorrow xxx

Germaine said...

hehehe. i have lost a bit of weight. but that dress is very flattering. thanks for the compliment. :D older men rock. right sam? hehehe.

Anonymous said...

YES INDEED! Hahahah...

Is that the gourmet burger place in Bangsar Village I?