Saturday, March 28, 2009

Birds of a Feather...

So lately I've developed a bit of anti zoo sentiment. I love animals and wanted to be a zoologist at one point. And a vet too. Unfortunately my sciences have never been very strong. So I think I'll have to say goodbye to my dreams of donning khaki and studying animals in the bush. :)

I've been to the Singapore Zoo before. It's actually one of the best zoos in the world I've been to. I've been to the Melbourne one and honestly it isn't as nice as the S'pore one. And it's really not very hard to beat the Msian zoo in terms of better landscaping and nice enclosures for the animals.

I've kind of decided though that I don't want to go to zoos anymore. Or take my kids to zoos. Breeding animals in captivity to live behind bars outside of their natural environments just seems sad. But I did go to the Jurong Bird Park in S'pore.


The first bird I encountered.


It's actually quite beautifully landscaped. And I think they've made an effort to recreate as much as possible the natural environment of the birds.



And the birds were very beautiful.


Besides all the bird watching we went to see a Birds of Prey show. It was actually pretty cool. The birds flew over the audience and caught piece of meat thrown into the air. They had vultures, American eagles, kites, and a bunch of other birds of prey.



Some of the birds flew so close over our heads we had to duck. It was a bit scary and I can imagine some small kids being afraid.

So would I go back. I don't know. I feel like some of the enclosures were definitely too small. Like the nocturnal birds section. There were some enclosures that had 3 or 4 birds in pretty small enclosures. And the poor birds didn't have much place to fly to. And then all the stupid humans pressing on the glass trying to make them do something.

And the penguins seemed too crowded together. Though at least they had water to swim in and it was a much better enclosure than one I saw at a country club in Rawang where one lone penguin looking miserable and bedraggled in a poorly air conditioned enclosure. Swimming all by its lonesome. I could have killed the stupid kids banging on the glass though.

My kids are gonna be deprived of all the regular kiddy childhood experiences. No zoos. No McDonalds. I'll let their grandparents do that stuff with them. Hahaha.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did i ever tell u that a peacock flew over Jen once (OVER!!!) and he flipped out and started crying? Oh, but he was 5 or 6 so i suppose it's excusable. Heheheh... Dont tell him i told u!