Monday, March 23, 2009

Interspersing Limbo with Moments of Lightness

I float around in a state of limbo these days. It fluctuates between pleasant and intolerable. I have the deja vu feeling of being stuck in the past when I'm dying to be in the future.

My feet are mired in the past but my head is already months ahead.

Whenever I feel like this I feel the need to go away. So I hopped on a train to Singapore with Val.


Val's an expert at going to Singapore. She knows what's the best coach to take on the overnight train. Where it stops longest. What people do in the buffet car. Which line to pick at immigration. So I was in good hands.


We went to the PS Cafe in Dempsey Road. And shared orange cake.



Traveling agrees with me. Look at how happy and relaxed I am. Hahaha. Don't tell my mother. She's gives me a lot of grief about the fact that I never look happy at home.

Singapore is not how I remember it. I was expecting concrete and bustle. People pushing and buildings mushrooming everywhere. While the city center is very developed...it's not as concrete as I expected it to be.

Around Dempsey Road there were wide pavements, trees that were old, not piddling little things supported by iron stakes. The cafe had a terrace that looked out onto trees and greenery.

And it all made me miss London. The fact that you could take the bus and count on it to show up within the next 3/5 minutes. The MRT goes everywhere. And you can walk around without fear of your handbag being snatched.

I miss being able to get around without a car. I miss having a nice local cafe you can sit in and have a cuppa and cake.

It was a good trip, mostly because Val and Francis were great and showed me a good time.

2 comments:

said...

its THAT smile :] remember your fake-cheerleader-smile? hahahaha.

said...

yee. my previous comment didnt sound right. i meant, this is a nice smile. on a different note, remember your fake cheerleader smile?
haha