Tuesday, April 28, 2009

How was your Monday?

So...you know that whole anemia thing? It went from bad to worse. I ended up in the hospital.

I wasn't feeling very good on Monday and went in to get a blood test to see what my hemoglobin levels were. The lab called my doctor urgently at 4 to tell her they were at dangerously low levels. So she called the house to say I needed to get to the hospital asap.

It was very dramatic. My mother drove me into the emergency section of Assunta and they wheeled me into the ICU in a wheelchair. I would've laughed but I didn't have the energy, which made me realize for the first time that this was probably serious.

They had to take another blood sample. I was dreading this bit because no one can find my veins properly. So the nurse was prodding about before she called another nurse to come play stick the needle in something that is not a vein with me.

Everyone agreed that I needed a blood transfusion at about 4 in the evening. So when did I get the blood transfusion? 5 hours later. Brilliant.

My poor mummy I think she was really freaked out. I don't think you ever want your kids to be in pain or have a hospital stay. I told her I'd be ok for her to go home and I could handle staying in the hospital on my own.

She said no and I'm glad she stayed. It would have been one long night without her. It could've been a sleepover, we talked a lot during the night since I couldn't really sleep during the transfusion. I couldn't sleep because the nurses kept coming in every hour to check my temperature and blood pressure.

I had two units of B+ plugged into me. Despite the initial difficulty of getting the needle into my hand it went pretty quickly. I was so glad to get that needle out of my hand man. You have no idea.

I got out of the hospital the next day with strict orders not to overexert myself. Eat lots of food with iron and rest. I hate this. I hardly ever get sick so it sucks to feel not 100% myself.

Sigh...

Just when I got my car back. I have to sit at home and rest. FTW.

Oh...and I'm sure that y'all are gonna wanna know how I lost all that blood. My dad told John Joseph who came to visit me that I got knocked down by a car. Poor dude. I had to tell him the truth, him and practically all my guy friends the truth.

Which is that I had a heavy period. That is how I lost more than half the blood that's supposed to be in my body. For serious. I'm embarrassed too. Further proof, in my opinion, that God is not a woman.

But I'm ok now. Though I wish some of you could've come with Rachel to visit me and keep me company while I waited for the blood to come. Or brought me a DVD player...the TV in the hospital is just awful I tell you. Like 4 Chinese channels, one Indian channel, 8tv, some Malay channels (including some super melodramatic Indonesian shows), and one channel that played really, really bad English movies.

The food wasn't too bad though. I'm all about the silver linings.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

:'( I <3 you. Stay strong! >:o

Germaine said...

Thanks Sammy Wammy. I love you too! I feel better. :)