Saturday, May 31, 2008

Afternoon Tea


What happens when you've been working nights for four nights in a row? You start to see crockery hanging from the ceiling...or maybe you just wandered into the cutest tearoom ever.

I met my cousin for brunch in Borough Market on Friday afternoon after she finished her night shift at the hospital. No pictures from that because we wolfed down the falafel wrap and chorizo sandwich (chorizo was the better of the two) and 2 pieces of baklava.

We were still feeling a little hungry from our respective exertions of the day so far. Hers was extreme aggravation from the nurses. Mine was getting dressed before noon. Hehe. So we wandered into Shipp's Tearoom.



There was no backing out after we saw the cakes on display. Yum



So we decided to have tea for two.




We split a cupcake.




And a scone with jam and lots, and lots, and lots of clotted cream. And of course a pot of Ceylon tea to share.

I love that it's not a posh tearoom so you can come in looking dishevelled (like me) or a bit grotty (like Yo) and no one will sniffily put you at the table where the toilet door keeps banging on your chair.

The furniture is all mismatched. And the teapots and teacups are all from different sets. Very cute. The cupcake was a bit dense but it had yummy icing, so all is forgiven. The scone was not bad too, and a gold star for being so generous with the clotted cream. Which was thicker than ice cream and tasted slightly buttery, great on scones and even by itself from the spoon (don't tell my hips).

All I seem to do here is brunch. I have forgotten what lunch is like. Even when I do eat lunch it's breakfast things because I can't be bothered to cook proper lunch things. I save that for dinner. I already want to go back to the tearoom and try the other cakes. I guess it's a good thing that I walk at least 2 miles a day in London.

No comments: