Monday, June 2, 2008

The Land of Brunch


England, or London anyway, is a land of brunch. Before I came to England I was eating brunch a lot. Mostly because I didn't wake up before eleven much. Eating a nice brunch back home is either expensive or hard to get to.

Here there's a good brunch place everywhere. And it's not that expensive either (just imagine that such a thing as the exchange rate does not exist). I stayed over at Yo's place on Friday night (and woke her up by laughing in my sleep). We had brunch at Pain, a Belgian bakery on Marleybone high street near her place.


We had a different things for brunch, which was supposed to be light. It started out that way with just a couple of pastries and a waffle. Some frothy cappucinos. Ladylike brunch stuff.


The waffle was Belgian by the way. Cakier in taste than an ordinary waffle. Not crispy...delicious without any syrup, and just the juices of the fruit that it came with.

We ate more stuff after that. A hazelnut flute thing. Smoked salmon. It's a nice bakery, a chain I think. And I want to go back again, I think I might tomorrow after dropping off a tuna pasta bake I made for Yolanda. It's not pretty so I didn't photograph it. And also I tasted a corner of it before rushing off to meet Yo.

It tasted good.

On a non-food front I went to the Orange Prize short list readings today with Yo, and Patrick (who is not an optimist so that he can never be disappointed).

The Orange prize (that Yo thought was the Orange Booker prize, ha ha) is a literary prize exclusively for women. All six of the short listed women (from all over the world) were there to read excerpts.

One of the judges was also there to introduce the works and to ask questions. There was also a question and answer session with the audience. I didn't ask any questions though.

Some of the books seemed very interesting. I want to read this one and this one. I am very proud of myself for managing to take the tube to Waterloo and find the Royal Festival Hall (where the readings were held) without getting lost.

I <3>

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i was jst wondering if you knew that 'where the wind blows' was also an all-encompassing mah-jong site.

Germaine said...

hahaha. no i didnt know that. thats kind of...sad? or just indicative of how i am subconciosuly a gambler? hehehe

said...

i'm salivating just looking at the waffles & croissant. yeee
btw, is the 1st picture broth or coffee?

Anonymous said...

Are the prices at Pain 'painful'? I miss Bodega brunches! You've substituted Cosmopolitans with coffee??? Who are u & what have u done with Deborah!